Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Million Thanks

Dear Koh Mak, 
  It's only been 36 hours since I've left your beautiful island, but I can't stop thinking about you. We got off to a rocky start - the 3 hour van ride to Bangkok, waiting around for another 3 hours at the bus station to get on an 'overnight' bus that dumped us off on the side of the road at 4 am, just in time for a songtaew to bring us to a pier where the five of us girls promptly whipped out our sarongs, bundled up and fell asleep on the concrete benches...for about 30 minutes,forcing us to find ways to pass the next 5 hours until the speedboat came to take us away to paradise, was hard on the body...and the heart. But not as brutal as the speedboat ride. I was happy that I got a spot in the open air in the front of the boat, but was quickly wishing away the time as we hit every single wave, which jolted us into the air and then slammed us back down into our seats, sending my organs in a frenzy. It was like the rides at the local carnival- we were all smiling and having fun, but we weren't 100% sure that we were going to survive. Needless to say, you had a lot to make up for. 
  And then...there you were, glowing in all your glory. The sun was beaming down on your crystal clear water and the palm trees danced with the island breeze. I immediately forgot about the torture I had to endure to make it to you. From that moment on, it was true love. Thank you for being off the tourist radar and offering only hammocks, warm water and coconut trees. I truly enjoyed spending 80% of my vacation nestled into my hammock, reading a book, while looking out onto the shimmering ocean. The fact that this image was framed by beautiful tropical plants was an added bonus. You would. I love that you only have dirt roads. I love that nobody else was around and I was able to experience real, natural silence. We had you all to ourselves and it was amazing. 
  I feel I owe you a million thanks. Thank you for your delicious curries and pineapple shakes. Thank you for having a hostel as incredible as Monkey Island with its reggae vibes and bumpin' beats. And thanks for moving our friend out of her bungalow because of the threat of a coconut falling through the roof. It was a funny little reminder that we were on an island in the middle of the ocean. Thank you for letting us have a gorgeous beach to ourselves. Thanks for providing hammocks to accommodate our afternoon torpor after a day in the sun. Thanks for letting us frolic (and cartwheel) along the sand and in the water. Basically, thanks for being you. You rock.


        Forever Yours, 
             Nell


PS: Bob says 'thanks', too. She really enjoyed herself. 















Bob loving life


  

No comments:

Post a Comment