Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Why Is This Happening to Us??

     Sadly, Beach Club Asia Edition came to an end and it is now back to reality in The Soup. Snapping back into routine is even harder when coming back from a tropical vacation with your favorite people. Oy. But I can't complain too much because I went on a tropical vacation with my favorite people....in December. The Studio 911 reunion was a glorious one from the moment we met Seyf at the airport. Immediately, we resumed our normal habits, such as destroying a bag of PB M&Ms, playing with Bob, having life chats and listening to Glee music.  Seyf was able to experience good ole Suphanburi for a brief period and even came to school with us on Friday. The kids immediately clung to her, and then proceeded to tickle her. Weird. It was really fun to have her in class and to have her experience what it's like to be a teacher in Thailand. We were also able to give her a mini- taste of our daily lives by hitting up our favorite lunch and coffee spots before we departed on our adventure.

    Somehow we snagged the VIP section of the VIP bus and had a decently comfortable 12 hour overnight bus ride South. My only complaint- the movie choice. There is this band of comedians who put on these horrendously disturbing shows that are apparently very appealing to the Thai people because they are plastered on billboards and played on multiple public bus rides. The three of us tried to avoid watching it, but it was like a car wreck and I found myself unable to look away. Luckily, after the movie, the lights went out and the seats reclined back and off I went to la-la land. Hours later, in the middle of the night, we awoke to Thai techno blasting over the radio and the lights blinding us. All Seyf could say was "Why is this happening to us???" But, despite the poor media choices, we made it to Phuket bright and early on Saturday morning.
   The entire weekend was perfect. Relaxing on the beach, exploring the town, eating lots of fruit and ice cream, eating incredible Thai food, wandering the markets and just being around one another was a recipe for happiness. We stumbled upon a gem of a hostel and took complete advantage of it. The shower was INCREDIBLE. And the movie channel was stellar. One night we got completely sucked into a movie after climbing into bed and my life is forever changed. It's a good one! We also treated ourselves to massages after a long day at the beach. I opted out of the Thai massage because I didn't know how to communicate that I was bionic...so I went with the traditional oil massage, and, boy oh boy, do I feel an addiction coming on. It was a whopping $6 but I think I'll be treating myself to plenty of those in the next 10 months. 
    We also spent a day island hopping the Phi Phi Islands and I cannot think of a more stunningly beautiful environment. All of the sights- the turquoise water, the sparkling sand, the surrounding cliffs and caves- were all so breathtaking. I was giddy at the chance to go snorkeling and I forgot how much I really enjoy it. Even Monkey Beach, despite the ferocious monkeys, was pretty. The weekend was perfection and after our BLM breakfast on the beach, the goodbye at the airport was really hard. It had been so long since we had time to just the three of us and it felt so great to have Seyf back in our lives, even if only for a few days. She went onward to Cambodia before finishing up her semester in Singapore and heading back to the States. I hate thinking that I won't see her for a year, so I am just going to convince myself that she will move to Thailand after getting her degree in May. It will happen, right?
Bob was really happy for Beach Club to reunite



Grody

5 comments:

  1. is that a monkey? is this real life?! *david at the dentist voice*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE monkeys. By the way, jeeeeeaaallouuuuusss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, how could you hate monkeys?? *le gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing! Massages for $6?? Pictures are wonderful! Even Bob is jumping for joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that monkey looks so pretty though! can you bring one back for me?

    kthanks.

    also, just letting you know that the new-911-crew is keeping it classy and loving the southie lifestyle still :)

    miss youuuuuu

    ReplyDelete