Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nell: 1 Bugs: 0

Sooo it is really hot here. Like...really hot. All of the time. I didn't know my body was capable of sweating so much. AKA- I look really attractive all of the time. Yeaaaa right! I am always doused in sweat and my hair just doesn't know what to do with itself. Yikes daddy.


I've been spending the last few days exploring my new town and settling into my apartment. I'm totally loving my new room. The space is huge, I have an amazing retro blue fridge, a King size bed (let's just ignore the fact that it is as hard as a rock), a big wardrobe, a desk, a balcony with pigeon wire, AC, Cable TV and Internet (holler!).  The bathroom, on the other hand, is...different. It's a wet-room, so the shower is just there with no wall, no curtain, no nada. The entire bathroom just gets soaked when you shower. And- there is no hot water. Ever. It's going to be tough to get used to that because I'm really not used to dreading a shower. Tonight, I came home, turned off the AC and waited until I was sweaty (shocker that I went 5 min without sweating) and then took a 3 minute shower. I mean, the water isn't freezing, but I have been spoiled with hot water my whole life, so it's just an adjustment. 





The only other issue with the apartment is the bugs. It is a really clean space but I am continually in battle with some sort of insect. First, it was a baby cockroach who reappeared in my sink multiple times after I had already drowned him. Every time I walked into the bathroom, he would be waiting for me, and every time I would just say "So we meet again..." and try to destroy him. Turns out, it wasn't a cockroach, but a water beetle (hence him not drowning). But I sabotaged him and a spider and thought I had done my duties. Next morning, I wake up to about 50 ants. It was an hour long battle with a worm mixed in, but I conquered them. If they come back, I will not be a happy camper. 


Walking around and exploring Suphanburi has been funny/great/exciting/sweaty. Sarah and I are a spectacle to see. Everyone just stares and stares and stares. They mostly smile because we are the only farang (foreingers) around so we stick out A LOT. I kind of feel like a celebrity, because everyone honks and waves when they drive by and people on the street try to show off their English skills, shouting out 'Yo!' "Hello!" and "Good Morning" (no matter what time of day). The lack of English on their part and Thai on ours makes for interesting interactions, but we have done a fairly good job of getting around and even got our beloved Thai Iced Coffee the past few days. YUM!


Today we wandered around and checked out the Descendants of the Dragon Museum, the City Pillar Shrine. It was amazingly beautiful and provided incredible views of The Sup. It kind of looked like an amusement park...minus the carneys and grody food.


 We also stumbled upon some old temples and a reclining Buddha. When there, a group of 5 kids came running over and tried talking to us. Some were more shy than others, but we tried to communicate despite the language barrier. They were adorable and definitely got me excited to meet my students next week. 

I am really digging Suphanburi and all of it's charm- the markets, the street vendors, the coffee shops and the incredible sights. When I muster up the motivation, I'll make a FB album to show it off. Until then- Mai Pen Rai, or don't worry about it! 


Oh, and the flooding? It's real. It's happening. It is down-pouring as I type this and I am pretty sure I am going to wake up tomorrow morning to find the city under water. Good thing I have some PB M&Ms to keep me from starving! But seriously...I'm a little nervous. 

6 comments:

  1. "So we meet again" ... Classic. Remnants of John Goodman in 'Arachnophobia.' Maybe you can use your newly discovered skills of pest control to open an insect exterminating business when you get back to the states. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thai iced coffee is the heat, for real.
    Thanks for the update and good luck battling the insects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if it were me, i'd be taking my shower and washing my hair, during the torrential downpours...at least the water would be warmer. (hint: i've done it before, as well as wash my car that way...it works)

    also, cockroaches love water as well, lol...
    so they won't drown, they are happily frolicking in the water.

    i'm loving that you guys are being likened to hollywood stars...play it up, nell.

    teach everyone the peace sign.
    it's universal, isn't it?
    (i've grown up/matured...so i won't encourage half of the peace sign...maybe jason or matt will.)

    love you, honey. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay up high!! Love you ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nell you are brave with ALL those bugs Remember when we tried to get rid of a bug using a paper cup lol Great posts by the way = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok not going to lie...the bug thing scares me !!!! aaaaah ! i think you guys need some fly swatters and mosquito netting ! that shower sounds wild eeeeeeeek

    ReplyDelete