Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mee Kwam Sook (Happiness)

I’ve been living in denial the past few weeks. I knew once September hit, it was the beginning of the end, and I wanted to push that thought far, far away. I thought I would be ready. I thought I would be craving Westernization again...ancy to resume ‘normal’ life. But here I am, days away from leaving Suphan, and dreading it more than ever. I’ve created a nice little life here in the middle of rice paddies and it feels wrong to just get up and leave. The past couple of months have been amazing. Everyday is full of smiles and happiness. I can’t remember the last time I have ever felt this happy in my life- which keeps me asking myself "Why am I leaving again?"

In reality, it's a silly question. I need to go home. Student loans (blah) beckon me. I miss my family. I want to get my Master's Degree. I know that anytime you leave a place you love, it's hard and it brings a lot of doubt. But I've been trying to ignore the sadness and focus on all of the good going on around me. And words cannot do justice to the happiness that has been filling up my life. But, here's a little reason why: 

Students:
I'm in love. Every single day they put a smile on my face. I've created such a bond with them and it kills me to leave them. I put a lot of work into being a good teacher. I didn't really write much about my teaching experience here, but it was dang hard. I struggled a lot. But, I did it. And I loved it...all because of them. They are so smart and so incredibly funny. They study all day and into the night, and still manage to be as silly as can be. The last few weeks have been especially hard, having to say goodbye to all these adorable kids. There have been some tears, a lot of hugs, and possibly a world record set for amount of Photobooth pictures taken. I wish I could pack them all up and bring them with me, but I'll just have to start saving my pennies so I can come back ASAP and see them all again. They are THE BEST. 

Suphan:
When I first came to Suphan, I didn't appreciate it nearly enough. I was more focused on traveling around Thailand and living a backpacker lifestyle. Luckily, second semester gave me a completely different experience and I feel like I have really become part of Suphan. I miss it when I'm away for a night. I've made great friends and have become a regular at certain establishments. I don't even want to think about saying goodbye to my life here. I am so thankful for people like Baanya, Wat, and the Sa-nguan Ying staff for looking out for us farang and making us feel at home. I never thought I would settle into a real life here in Suphanburi, Thailand, but somehow, it nestled itself right into my heart...and it's definitely established a permanent residence there. 

In general, life has been grand. I could spend hours writing about why I am so happy but 1. I'll cry and 2. Borrrring! Just between school, my social life, traveling, and let's not forget about seeing/talking to my favorite Thai band on more than one occasion, I have no complaints. So, now, here I am-  "ready" for my last week of Thai living. I'm sure I'll be overly emotional and I'm sure I'll gain 10 pounds trying to savour all of the Suphan deliciousness, but it's gotta happen. 


So here's to a fantastic year with amazing people and amazing experiences. Let's go out the best way possible...








No comments:

Post a Comment