Thursday, September 29, 2011

Don't be fooled by the red hair....I'm Thai

Last weekend, a group of Suphan farang decided to have one last hurrah on Khao San Rd. It had been a long while since I've gone wild on the most overstimulating street in the world, but we wanted to go big one last time. As we stepped into the hostel, which was bumping with backpackers from all over the world, I was instantly struck with anxiety and discomfort. I used to live for these kinds of places, so I was really thrown off by this feeling. I have been so enamored with Suphan, and thus traveling a lot less this semester. I've gotten really used to being one of few white people in a given place. I love Thinglish conversations and continual "Chon gao's" (Cheers') with Bia Singha. I love getting my photo taken with random Thai people and rocking the peace sign. I absolutely love awkwardly dancing to Thai bands at Thai bars where there are no other farang in sight. It's just the way it has been for the past year, and luckily, I love it. I embraced it long ago and have been reaping the benefits of pretty epic nights out in Suphan. So, after some thought, it was pretty understandable why I felt so out of place in a hostel teeming with farang. I forget how to interact with them. Which means only one thing..... I. Am. Thai. 


I use baby powder on a daily basis, I rely on Google Translate, I don't wait for others before eating, I only listen to Thai music, I'm a Thai band groupie, I cannot form a coherent English sentence, I double dip, I contribute to Facebook conversations (84 comments? chyeaaa), I very publicly use a toothpick after my meals, I text while tripling up on the back of a motorbike (okay it only happened once, but I felt very Thai), I cross the street at really inopportune times, I eat freaky things like deep fried shredded catfish with mango, I drink whiskey and coke, I 555 a lot, I try to avoid the sun, I crush on Thai superstars, I smell menthol tubes, I use bug spray as perfume, I eat rice every single day and miss it when I don't, the list goes on and on....


Seriously- I'm becoming Thai. When we walked into a bar later that night (to see my third 25 Hours concert in a month), we were pretty obviously the only white people in the bar, and everything felt right again. I have not only been introduced to a completely new culture this year, but I've been fully immersed in it, and somewhere along the way, I adapted to it. Which is all fine and dandy, but I am days away from embarking on a 6 week backpacking journey before going back to America. Is Thai Nell going to be completely overwhelmed or will I just 'snap' back into backpacker mode? I'm sure it will be fine...Mai Pen Rai....right?


Also- with that being said, I will have very limited access to the Internet in the next 6 weeks, and so blog posts will be far and few. 


BKK- Isaan- Laos- Siem Reap, Cambodia - BKK- some beautiful tropical island(s) TBD- Chiang Mai- Suphan- BKK - Seoul- Chicago- BOSTON (what?!?!?! ahhh!)


Suphan- I love you. I'm not ready to say goodbye. I still have a few more nights to cherish with you, so CHON GAO!

Some of my favorite people 

No comments:

Post a Comment