Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'm Kind Of A Big Deal

I don't know if you've heard, but I'm kind of a big deal. Seriously- I just got like 50 new facebook friends. Big. Deal. 


Let's back up. Last week, on my daily trip to Baanya's, I was startled when I walked into the cafe and a film crew was set up. Two super cool men, one rocking purple hair, were sitting on the couch and filming their gossip show. And obviously, they couldn't resist asking three farang to get in on the action. So- they gave us their opening line and filmed us saying it. I made my Thai TV debut and it felt so great. But...that was just a preview for the real superstardom I was to encounter. 


EP Night. EP Night has been talked about since they day I arrived at Sa-nguan Ying. It's a night where we celebrate the English Program and all of its achievements. It's a chance for parents to see what the students have done and for the students to be proud of themselves. And they deserve it! They are such hard-workers and a night of fun was just what they needed. 


The students in the EP have worked so incredibly hard, organizing performances, memorizing speeches and making sure this big event would pan out perfectly. Usually, the foreign staff is asked to put on a small performance...maybe sing a diddly, or do a little Thai dance to get a chuckle from the students. But, not us. We went big. Shea, one of the teachers, has a killer singing voice and had been asked to sing Bird's 'Too Much, So Much, Very Much,' which is one of the most popular songs in Thailand. About a week before EP Night, she informed us that aaaalll of us would have to participate in some way. I was all over the dancing. We studied the dance from the video, learned it, added some of our own moves, and practiced our little butts off (kind of). Ally, being such a cool kid, learned the Thai rap in the video and it...was....AMAZING. We kept the performance a secret and so when it was our turn to take the stage at EP Night, the kids went wild. It was a little nerve-wracking to perform a ridiculous dance in a ridiculous outfit in front of hundreds of people, including some of the higher-ups of the school, but I felt like a rock star. It was awesome and the kids loved it. 


Check it out!



Although I loved being a superstar for the night, the kids were the real stars. They worked so hard and put together really incredible performances. They looked absolutely adorable in their outfits and it was so nice to see them in this type of environment. They looked like they were having the best time, donning smiles from beginning to end. I had a lot of fun and I will definitely remember EP Night beyond it being the night I became famous. 


Don't they look so happy to be reppin' the USA?

Students made up and looking pretty to host

The Dancers

How cute are they?

How crazy are they? I love them.

Love.
* Please take note of how many peace signs are happening. I cannot stop. 



3 comments:

  1. That's the best thing K.Nell

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be the most awesome person I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks :) I'm having a little too much fun. I hope all is well with your new bundle!

    ReplyDelete