Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chick Mountain Music Festival

   I've had a slight obsession with Thai music lately. I honestly can't remember the last English song I've listened to. I'm hooked! When our friends informed us a few weeks ago that some of our favorites would be performing at a big festival in Kanchanaburi, we immediately sought out tickets. Sarah, Clare and I were more than a little excited to rock out to Suckseed, Jetsetter, Palmy and....BODYSLAM. Bodyslam is one of the most popular rock bands in Thailand, and P'Toon, the lead singer, is a legend here.
 

So last weekend, we made our way to the military training camp in Kanch and prepared for a day/night of Thai music fun at the Chick Mountain Music Festival (Man Gai Mak). When we arrived, we realized straight away that we were the only farang in attendance. Mai Pen Rai! We embraced it and I thoroughly enjoyed surprising the Thais with my appreciation for Thai music. 



The area was set up in military-fashion, for obvious reasons, and one could entertain themselves with some tower jumping and gun-shooting. Ya know- the typical concert activities. We passed and anxiously awaited for the music to begin...


Normal


But then, it rained. It rained a lot. 


Looking cute in our ponchos


Suckseed still opened the show on time and it was actually pretty fun to dance around in our ponchos, mud covering our legs, and thunder roaring in the background. The rain held steady for a few hours, but by the second act, it cleared up and we were able to enjoy the remaining 8 hours, rain-free.


All of the performances were incredible. It's hard to not be able to sing along, even if you know the tune, but it didn't take any of the fun away. Each performance proved better and stronger but no one compared to the magic that is P'Toon. 




Bodyslam put on an amazing show and Toon graced us with his beautiful voice and his rockin' songs. And then he took off his shirt and I died. His 8-pack glistened with sweat and I was in love. 
I'm Toon and I am beautiful
Hours later, we made our way back to Suphan, looking like quite the disheveled bunch, rain-soaked and covered in a disgusting amount of mud.  We plopped down on the early morning bus and our self-disgust was quickly replaced with sweet dreams of P'Toon. I've been riding on a wave of adrenaline from last weekend's music festival and the excitement of this coming weekend's Reggae on the Rock music festival, featuring none other than my favorite Thai band, 25 Hours!


EWWW!

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour,
    j'ai beaucoup apprécié vos photos sur ce festival et me suis permis de les citer sur mon site :
    http://www.kanchanaburi-guide.com/reussite-du-chick-mountain-festival-a-kanchanaburi.html

    J'aimerais aussi publier des extraits (traduits) dans ma rubrique ils ont aimé Kanchanaburi.
    Merci de me faire savoir si cela vous convient.
    Cordialement

    ReplyDelete