Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wedding Crashers

I finally did it. I spent an entire weekend in The Soup. It wasn't easy and it wasn't at all exciting, but I can finally declare that it happened. And I can confidently say that it probably won't be happening all that often. My life is simple now and I guess I am just not that good at entertaining myself. Good thing I live in Thailand where there will always be something to spice up my life. 

The majority of my weekend was spent at a coffee shop, grading papers and writing Progress Reports. When I wasn't there, I was wandering the town, digging for something...anything...to do, which just ended with me eating a whole lot of ice cream. You know your day is a dud when, while eating lunch, you are pondering what to eat for dinner, because the meals will most certainly be the 'events' of that day. Luckily for me, they are always delicious. 

Sunday night rolls around and I am basically pacing my room, trying to pass the time, when two of my friends knock on my door, say that they noticed some spotlights in the sky and wanted to scope it out, and then asked if I wanted to join their expedition. Hmmm...let me just stop what I am doing...oh wait, I wasn't doing anything...so YES, I will go. I hopped on the back of one of their mopeds (I'm becoming a natural) and we buzzed through town, trying to find out where those spotlights in the sky were coming from. After a few wrong turns and some highway action, we found our way down a random street. The small shacks suddenly turned into gorgeous houses and it felt as though we teleported into a gated community back in the States.  Cops surrounded this elaborate set-up of neon lights, flowered gates, banquet tables and a huge stage. We suspected it was a wedding, but second guessed ourselves once we saw the troupe of sequined girls dancing and singing on stage. We hopped off the bikes and moseyed on over to the scene. The cops didn't even flinch and let us wander right through the gate. As we stood in confusion, and attracted a whole bunch of stares, a table of Thai folk waved us over and invited us to join them. They immediately offered us bowls and told/forced us to eat the ridiculous spread of food on the table. They knew a few words of English, but for the most part, the next hour was spent miming and talking in broken Thai/English. Nevertheless, we made new friends. About halfway through the conversation, one of the women pointed to two beautiful girls in super trendy outfits coming towards us and said "Superstar!" We were then quickly shuffled up from our seats and pulled into a picture with the 'Superstars.' We chatted with them for a bit, and found out that they were actresses for a TV Show essentially called 'Super Cop.' As we talked to the two celebrities, we could hear the word 'farang' excitedly coming from the man on stage. I'm pretty sure we upstaged the 'Superstars.' Only in Thailand...

Although I would consider this a fairly 'boring' weekend, I still managed to pull a 'Wedding Crashers-esque' stunt and steal the show from Thai celebrities. Like I've said before, nothing in Thailand will ever be 'normal.' 


Sidenote: I still have no idea what the party was for. 




3 comments:

  1. Nell, I'm so happy to have found your blog! Andrew just told me about it as we were shoveling (I'm sure you've heard this winter is breaking snowfall records - ugh!) Also found yours and Sarah's Facebook pages and sent friend request. Andrew told me about your visit with Lauren. Now, that's funny - a "911" reunion in Thailand! We miss you here!! Sounds like you are having an amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete