Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy 2554!

Happy New Year! Hope everyone has started 2011 (or 2554 here in Thailand) off on the right foot. It was definitely different celebrating the New Year in a different culture/country, but it turned out to be my best New Year's yet, so cheers to that! I knew it was bound to be a good one when I was invited to the Sa-nguan Ying School cowboy-themed New Year's party. Silly me leaving my cowboy boots and flannel back in the States! I did my best to look semi-cowgirl, but my pigtails paled in comparison to the Thai staff fully decked out in suede-fringed vests, cowboy hats and steel-toed boots. The party mainly consisted of food, karaoke, cowboy contests and gift giving. I hit the jackpot with a new fan and a rice cooker. Although, I was slightly bummed I didn't win the brand spankin' new refrigerator. 


Sooo excited about my gifts!
The next day in school, the party continued and the kids held classroom parties. Now, when I heard there would be celebrations in every room, I figured there would be food to snack on, some music and maybe some games. I was not prepared for the full on ragers that were taking place in every single room. Silly string, garlands, confetti and glitter was thrown around. Lights, Christmas trees (a little late there, kiddos) and gifts took over half of the room, while full buffets of Som-tam, fried chicken, sushi, desserts, rice, etc, covered the remaining desks. Some students jumped around in a mosh-pit in their classrooms, and others just belted out Lady Gaga and The Cranberries on the giant karaoke screen projected onto the wall. I'm still not entirely sure how I was suckered into singing Poker Face in front of not one, but both of my M2 classes. The scene was completely wild, but such a fun way to end the year with the students. Sarah and I were able to sneak out of school a little early and begin our own New Year's adventures. Where were we going? No idea. 


Showing their Justin Bieber pride

Decorating the Christmas Tree....4 days after Christmas
Mmm fresh sushi!
      
Bags packed with no destination known, we headed to the train station about an hour away and hoped to find an open train that would take us far away from Suphan for the long weekend. We were semi-prepared to head to Laos since we just received our multiple re-entry permits into Thailand (whoop! whoop!), but we were up for anything. Even though we got rejected time after time when trying to get tickets to Chiang Mai, we were still bummed out about it, so just for kicks, we thought we would mention it. So, we went up to the desk, said 'Chiang Mai,' expected heartbreak, but instead, received a miracle. There were two tickets that night on an overnight sleeper train that would be getting into Chiang Mai, one of the greatest cities in the world, early the next morning. Done and done. We then began our journey northward.


Chiang Mai- how I love thee. I could go on for hours listing the reasons why I love it oh, so much. NYE day was spent wandering around, exploring various Wats and chatting with some monks. Talking with them was such a great experience because we had so many questions to ask them! Monks are such a prevalent part of the Thai Buddhist culture, but I was not entirely aware of their practices, especially those regarding women. Chatting with them gave us the opportunity to understand them more and it gave them the chance to practice their English. But, more importantly, it gave us the chance to see how normal they are. We spent a good hour or so talking with 2 monks from Cambodia. At one point, their ajarn (teacher) came out, spoke no English, but presented us with an amulet for good luck and protection, which was super cool. 


   


After delighting ourselves with the most delicious Thai dish yet, Khao Soi, we headed out to the main road to start the NYE celebrations. Floating lanterns filled the sky and created the most beautiful sight. Sarah and I even lit and set off our own. The remainder of the night included markets, live music, new backpacker friends, a live performance from Potato (jealous?) and a countdown in English! When midnight struck I was expecting loud cheers, lots of hugs and a lot of ballyhoo. Rather, while our small group of English guys and Canadian/American girls enthusiastically greeted the New Year, the Thai crowd around us tamely watched the firework show in the sky without so much as a hoot of excitement. That is...until Potato came on the stage. 


Happy New Year!
                   
The rest of our Chiang Mai trip was glorious and I had no desire to leave. It was so great to go exploring, eat new dishes, get a Thai massage (I needed to start the New Year with a knot-free back, right?), make new friends and wander around the multiple markets. The night markets were out of control and I went a little crazy and spent a wee bit of baht. Mai Pen Rai. We were pretty bitter on our 14 hour trek back to The Soup on Monday, but only because it was the best New Year's yet. It was the first time in a long time that I have felt revived and very ready for the New Year. I am excited to tackle some new resolutions and begin what should be one of the best years of my life. 


2011....bring it on. 



Monk meditation + stray dog = Very Thai


I'd feel wrong if I didn't include Bob's love for Chiang Mai







2 comments:

  1. Love your updates ♥ I looked up Khao Soi....and i want some! Looks like 2011 is off to a great start. One of my resolutions is to not to worry so much about your adventures.....FAIL! Love and miss you ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. Glad Bob is having a good time. LOVE Sarah's pictures on facebook. Love you!

    ReplyDelete