Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chill Chill

With a short stopover in Phnom Penh, I made it back to Bangkok to spend Sarah's final weekend in Thailand with her and her brother, Chris. We checked out Wat Arun on the very swollen river, saw a Thai movie, ate lots of street food and enjoyed some Thai nightlife. It was definitely weird to say goodbye to Sarah. It didn't feel real at all. We made this amazing journey together and I was so lucky to have my BFF with me during the best year of my life.

With way too much baggage, I headed to Suphan for a quick visit to see my favorite people, eat my favorite food and to organize my stuff for my next adventure. And dang, I love Suphan. Let's just leave it at that. The usual hour and a half journey back to BKK took way longer because of the flooding, but I'm not going to complain about a long van ride when a huge portion of the country has been devastated by water. The flooding situation has definitely added some stress and anxiety to my final weeks in Thailand, and I hope and pray things don't get worse here for the sake of the country.

When I got to BKK, I went to the bus station with no definite destination in mind. I had three islands in mind and a little game of Eenie-meenie-miney-moe decided my fate. Within 2 hours, I was on a bus to Turtle Island, or Koh Tao, which is known as the diving hot spot in Thailand. Koh Tao was the perfect spot to chill out for a few days and basically mentally prepare myself for home. I ate a lot of beach BBQ, I read a whole lot, I swam, I mingled with the locals, I got one of the best massages of the year ( top 2 for sure), and I did the best snorkeling I've done in Thailand. I went on a one day boat trip around the island and to the small surrounding islands to snorkel, swim and enjoy the scenery. The snorkeling was unreal. There were so many beautiful fish and colorful coral (yeah alliteration!). Besides that, I did a lot of lounging on the beach. But, being Thai, I escaped the sun by sitting in the shade, slathering on sunscreen and hiding under my sarong. So I'm more sun-high-fived, or sun-awkward hugged, than I am sun-kissed. I'll fit right into the cold days of Boston. For now, it's off to the last leg of my trip, my beloved Chiang Mai, to celebrate Loy Krathong.


No big deal

Beautiful view from Nangyan Island

I'm really cool





No comments:

Post a Comment