Wednesday, May 11, 2011

We're Soaring...Flying...

 First of all, if you can reference the inspiration for this blog title, I love you. Secondly, I may or may not be watching it as I type this. 


 Alas, Songkran came to an end, but the fun wasn't over yet. Sarah, her sister and her sister's friend had joined the party up North and we still had some oomph left in us. It was my last day in Chiang Mai and we decided to do something crazy to truly make it the best week ever.  We signed up for The Jungle Flight. The Jungle Flight is a ziplining tour through the jungle. We zip-lined from tree to tree (about 35 platforms in total), walked across shaky canopy walks high above the ground, and even abseiled (straight drops) down from a few of the trees. I thought I'd be a nervous wreck, but they basically give you some hairnets, a helmet, harness you in, give you a QUICK introduction and then push you off of a tree platform. I was soaring through the jungle before I had a chance to panic. 


It was unbelievably fun and a great way to see the jungle. The longest zipline was about 900 feet long, while the tallest abseil was 120 feet above ground (scary!) Our guides were crazy and kept us laughing the whole time. They loved to make us freak out by yelling "No NOT that one!" after we had unhooked ourselves 50 feet above the ground during the abseils. I think I only squealed once. 


I know Laos offers an extended version of this and I definitely want to try it out. Rather than a few hours in the trees, you spend 2 days zip-lining and spend a night in a tree house. I think it will be pretty awesome. 


Here are a few snapshots from way up high:


Hairnets? Check. 

Amy ziplining AND peace-signing. Impressive.

Sarah in action

Abseil!

View from the top


Srall with one of our guides.
   And here's a quick video I took while in flight!


Untitled from Nell Riccio on Vimeo.



      Now I'm off enjoying the sun in BALI and LANGKAWI. What is my life? I don't hate it.

1 comment:

  1. There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach....IF WE'RE TRYING....SO WE'RE BREAKING FREE!

    ReplyDelete