Saturday, November 6, 2010

Build Me Up Buttecup

I'm getting into the groove of teaching and really started to dig my role in the classroom. I have about 85 students total and I am still struggling to get their names. I mean, it's pretty hard when the kids' nicknames are Arm, Four, Nine, Ping-Pong, Eye, Prae, Bass, Ganphet and Ohm. But then you get your random Pat or Kate, which just doesn't match. I am determined to know everyone's name by the end of the month. Yikes! They are all so adorable and I can already feel myself picking favorites. I know, I know....that's bad, but some of them are just so dang cute
This week has actually been pretty busy between teaching, signing contracts, making lesson plans and getting initiated into the Sa-nguan Ying School. On Tuesday morning, Sarah and I, along with the 3 other Americans in the "normal" school, had to introduce ourselves to the entire school of 2600 students during their opening ceremony/announcements. All of the children line up and surround a main stage out on the front lawn while some pretty stellar Thai music blares out on the loud speakers. The 5 of us stood up on stage and introduced ourselves one by one to the entire school. I tried to show off what little Thai skills I had by saying "Hi my name is Nell. I come from Americaaa" (Sawatdee, ka. Chan chue Nell. Chan ma ja Americaaa.) I think it went over pretty well. We were then presented with a bunch of white roses and the school pin. Love it! 
On Thursday night, the English Program staff had a welcoming dinner for Sarah and I. We got picked up at our apartment and made our way to a Chinese restaurant on the other side of town. Good food, good company, and guess what? There was karaoke. Shocker! We had been forewarned that we would have to sing, so we really had no choice but to embrace it. After one of the older Tasmanians sang 'Barbie Girl' with one of the Thai teachers, we sang 'Build Me Up Buttercup.' Back in the States, I would refuse to sing karaoke (and I had a lot of opportunities at a certain family members house:) ), but here it is no big deal. There is a lot of pressure in the lead-up and people will chant your name until you sing, but the moment the song starts, no one pays attention. Some people take it pretty seriously and will sit themselves in front of the screen and just sing by themselves. 
On Thursday and Friday the EP had a conference run by Apple. Some of it was pretty interesting and some of it was really funny. At one point, I was tied to three of my coworkers and we were trying to make our way to the other side of room, but with obstacles in the way. Weird. The oddest part about the whole conference was that the students were still in class... but we were not. And there were no subs. I gave them an assignment and I am so curious to see if anyone did it come Monday. I popped my head into one of the classes and they were all sitting like little angels. Really? Because that would NEVER happen in the States. 
Well it's Saturday morning and Iced Coffee is calling my name. Ive gone a good 5 days without it, soooo that needs to change immediately. 


Random thoughts:
- Ants are started to become my friend. Not by choice.
-I have an unhealthy addiction to Hershey's Cookies and Cream nuggets. I was told directly by Hershey's that they were discontinued. SUCKER PLEASE!
-We went to a market the other night and they had little bitty puppies and bunnies...in cute little frilly dresses...and cute little 8 year olds were selling them. Cuteness overload! It would come as no surprise if one of them are in my possession in the next 3 months. 


And just to remind you of it's gloriousness (and it's raunchiness)....enjoy!


Barbie Girl



6 comments:

  1. You didn't take pictures of the puppies in dresses??? I am very disappointed. You know when you get home, you will HAVE to do the karaoke, right? Love & miss you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It would come as no surprise if one of them are in my possession in the next 3 months."

    The bunnies, the puppies, or the children? Please say all three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't imagine introducing myself to 2600 people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Build me up buttercup ---what a great choice! Can't wait to hear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please come back with a Thai cousin for Cam. Kthanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what Thai fisherman pants are. Would you post a picture?

    ReplyDelete